Essential Oils You Need to Have On Hand
Everyone seems to be talking about essential oils these days, so what is all the fuss about?
When sourced and produced properly, essential oils are some of nature's most potent and effective tools for supporting health and wellbeing.
Essential Oil use can be traced back to every ancient culture. There have even been jars of essential oils found in Egyptian pyramids that were still in good condition!
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are natural aromatic compounds that come from the protective oils in plants. They are found in roots, stems, leaves, flowers, sap, bark, seeds, and citrus peels. In general, they are steam distilled, or in the case of citrus oils, cold-pressed. The function of these oils is to protect plants from pests, bacteria, fungi, environmental threats, etc.
And they can do the same for us!
The chemical makeup of each essential oil depends upon where and how it’s grown, harvested and, extracted. Each oil has unique characteristics with wonderful health benefits!
There’s a seemingly endless list of beneficial properties in essential oils, some of them are: antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibiotic, detoxifying, disinfectant, neurotonic, antispasmodic, digestive, regenerative…the list goes on and on.
Here are some top oils to have on hand and some great ways to use them!
Frankincense - The King of Essential Oils
- Once you become an oil enthusiast you’ll start saying, “When in doubt…Frankincense.”
- Most commonly known for its cellular support. You can put one to two drops in a veggie capsule or directly into mouth.
- Rub Frankincense on your hands after a long day of gardening for a warming and soothing effect.
- This oil helps reduce the appearance of skin imperfections (think scars and wrinkles).
- Can be applied to the bottoms of feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance mood.
- Take one to two drops in a veggie capsule to support healthy cellular function.
- Diffuse to uplift mood and energy levels and to freshen the air. Add a drop to your water every day for a burst of flavor and to promote overall health.
- Use in an all-purpose spray to cleanse and purify surfaces.
- For an energy boost, dispense one to two drops in the palm of your hand along with equal parts Peppermint and Frankincense. Rub palms together and inhale deeply, then rub on the back of the neck.
Soothing Blend - Deep Blue®
- Apply on feet and knees before exercise.
- Apply to sore muscles and joints after exercise.
- Massage Deep Blue with a few drops of carrier oil onto growing kids’ legs at bedtime.
- Rub Deep Blue on lower back muscles after a day of heavy lifting at work or during a move.
- Apply over the heart or take internally to reduce anxious feelings.
- Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet at bedtime to soothe and relax before sleep.
- Keep a bottle of Lavender on hand to soothe occasional skin irritations.
- Freshen your linen closet, mattress, car, or the air by combining Lavender with water in a spray bottle.
- Use in cooking to soften citrus flavors and add a flavorful twist to marinades, baked goods, and desserts.
- Take internally to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort.* (Combo of Lemon, Lavender & Peppermint)
- Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water to clean tables, countertops, and other surfaces. Lemon oil also makes a great furniture polish; simply add a few drops to olive oil to clean, protect, and shine wood finishes.
- Use a cloth soaked in Lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments.
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals.
- Diffuse to create an uplifting environment.
- Use a drop of Peppermint with Lemon in water for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse.
- Take one to two drops in a Veggie Capsule to alleviate occasional stomach upset.
- Add two to three drops to your favorite smoothie recipe for a refreshing twist.
- Place one drop in the palm of the hand with one drop Wild Orange and one drop Frankincense and inhale for a midday pick-me-up.
Respiratory Blend - Breathe®
- Diffuse, inhale directly from palms, use outside, or rub on chest or feet when seasonal and environmental threats are high.
- Diffuse at bedtime for a restful night’s sleep.
Digestive Blend - DigestZen®
- Add a few drops to water to take internally or rub on the stomach before flying or taking a road trip for a calming aroma.
- Have DigestZen on hand when enjoying heavy holiday meals to promote digestion.*
- Take DigestZen with you when traveling or trying new foods to soothe occasional stomach upset.*
- Add to water or tea to maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract.*
*Digestive health is absolutely crucial to mental and emotional balance. A great many of the neuro-receptors for hormonal and brain balance can be found in the digestive tract. They work like a lock and key mechanism - the neuro-receptors being the locks. If those “locks” are jammed up with biofilms, candida, petrochemicals/pesticides/herbicides, and other toxins found in many conventional foods, those locks aren’t free to receive the proper “key”s and engage the body in the hormonal, emotional and mental balance that we might otherwise enjoy. So be sure to work with your trusted healthcare provider for counsel on your digestive and overall health!
Purity, Potency & Safety
With all the oils popping up on the market, it’s important to know what you are buying. Particularly because not all essential oils are alike!
There is very little government regulation on this industry, so at this point, it’s legal for companies to label their bottles, “100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil” but it only has to contain 3% of actual oil in the bottle! I caution people to stay away from buying any essential oil off of a store shelf because the most widely available brands on the shelves are more than 50% petrochemical filler… not safe!
Another important note, regardless of brand: essential oils should not be used internally unless you see a “Supplement Facts” box on the side of the bottle.
As a healthcare practitioner, I must do my research in order to be certain of the safety and efficacy of anything I recommended to my clients. So after researching many different essential oil companies, I found dōTERRA to be the only company producing essential oils that are absolute in purity, potency, and consistency. dōTERRA also happens to be a company of 100% transparency, giving online access to the third party testing results of every oil they sell.
Last year I learned that Johns Hopkins also did their own research and chose to exclusively partner with dōTERRA for both the research and use of essential oils. So of course, that’s what I recommend to my clients.
Be sure to join us on Facebook for our Live Essential Oil Thursdays - I’d love to connect and answer your questions!
To your Health!
Annie Waugh Boerner, LMT, IMC